WHY DO INSURANCE COMPANIES INSIST ON REPLACING ACRYLIC SKYLIGHT DOMES WITH MORE ACRYLIC?
Very good question….and one I guess we need to find an insurance claims adjuster to answer.
Here is our view on the many reasons it just doesn’t make sense in 2014 to replace an acrylic dome with an acrylic dome.
1) Acrylic was the technology in the 70’s and 80’s. It is no where close to the best material we have in 2014. Would you replace anything in your home with a technology that is 30 to 40 years old?
2) When we ask homeowners about this, we always hear “this is what the insurance company will pay for”. It makes us wonder if the insurer has done their homework about the cost of a replacement acrylic dome versus a glass replacement skylight. The price is about even and yet, with glass you get a long list of clear advantages.
3) Replacement of just the acrylic dome piece of a skylight involves disassembling and re-using the old skylight frame and hoping that frame then does its job on the roof for the next 20-30 year. Replacement with a new glass skylight gives you an entirely new high tech unit on your roof, unadulterated and ready to perform.
4) Acrylic domes are not energy-efficient. Velux glass is Energy-Star rated, quieter, and the newest glass is even self-cleaning. Installing Velux is just like putting the finest quality windows on your home.
5) Acrylic domes are more prone to condensation. Additionally, the view from inside is of ‘brown’ sky.
6) When hail hits, the acrylic skylights break. Glass rarely does. We have seen this every year in Kansas City. Glass is just much stronger than plastic. So much so that Velux skylights come with a 10-year hail warranty.
We think those are big reasons to replace acrylic with glass. Our goal is to empower homeowners with information they can take to their insurer when advocate for the common sense choice when replacing their skylight.
Please call for more info. We would love to get you a skylight that will serve you well for decades!